A Travellerspoint blog


first days in Santiago

sunny 28 °C

Arriving in Santiago, Chile was less trouble then I originally thought it would be. I am one of those guys who travels with the flows of life. I get a kick out of seeing how different and yet still similar people are. I left Boise, Idaho on the first of the new year. I proceeded to tangle with a rock wall near 'Cougar Mountain Lodge', about ~73 miles north of Eagle. The truck took the brunt of the damage. I couldn't even tell where the truck hit the wall, besides the tire tracks. However the truck is drivable and still functions fine. I went back to Moscow with no problems. When I arrive back in Moscow, that will be the number one project before summer school starts.

After leaving 4 bags of food for the dogs, I traveled on to Spokane on the 2nd. There I stayed with my aunt and uncle until the 4th. My aunt gave me a ride to the airport at 6 in the morning. I had just switched my mental clock to mountain time zone. I flew down to San Francisco for an evening. The hotel had a shuttle to the airport and so I left with plenty of time before the trip to Miami. The flight from San Fran to Florida was something, a little over 5 hours. My sleep was really inconsistent at a five minute interval on two different periods. The seat was uncomfortable after around three hours, and moving around was limited.

I spent the afternoon walking around the airport. Food was crazy expensive. I had a plate of rice and one piece of beef and a little pint of milk, all for $9. My family is pretty upset with me. I called that evening, around 11pm eastern time. I tried to not lie to everyone. However, my mother still has guardianship over me and there has been nothing I have been able to do, about that specific matter anyway. I didn't tell people other than my friends. If my Mom had found out about the trip before I left, it would have been world's easier for her to squash the trip. I really didn’t like being dishonest with the family, however I felt I had no other choice. Being a few thousand miles away will limit the reach of just about anyone : ) Plus the fact still remains that Dr. Beaver, the neurophysiologist from my accident, believes I am now capable of functioning independently. It's funny that the family reacted just like I thought they would. Not a single person hoped i would have the time of my life down here. That was my original intent, to see some beautiful topography, neat animals and some 'guapo' culture. Plus I believe the Spanish language will always be beneficial and knowing a little more than the next guy will never be a bad thing. Again just my opinion : ) Hope the family won’t stay mad at me for a long time. Any ideas will be appreciated ; )

I met the host family today. They are going to be great!! The city of Santiago seems to have no limit. The smog is apparent when looking to the tall hills which surround the city. I will post pictures when I can figure out what my computer/camera is doing. It’s weird because the Humanitarian Bowl pictures were a breeze. Oh well : ) In the host family there are two sisters and their mother. A son of Susie lives here as well. They have a basset hound. I guess there are no vets in this part of the world, only in America and Europe. Well I’m off to take a nap after eating great lunch, homemade lasagna : ) There is a limit to the availability of leche, yet I can’t have it all ; )

Posted by kneedrager 10:34 Archived in Chile Tagged living_abroad

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint